This page helps you to know about noun and its types.
A noun is commonly defined as the name of a person, place, thing, feeling, thought, animals, and qualities around us.
Ramya is a student.
Aswin teaches English to students.
How can we use nouns?
Uses of nouns:
- The noun is used as the subject of a verb.
Example: Catherine rides a bicycle.
S V O
- The noun is used as the object of a Transitive verb.
Example: Kady likes Peter.
S TV O
- The noun is used as a complement of an incomplete verb.
Example: She is Linda.
- The noun is used as the object of a preposition.
Example: I go to the park with my friends.
- The noun is used in apposition to the subject.
Example: My sister, Linda plays baseball well.
Now, let’s learn about the types of nouns.
Types of nouns:
Nouns can be classified into different types.
A common noun is the naming word of the nouns such as persons, places, things, ideas, etc.
Example: book, table, television, woman, cat, parrot
Proper nouns are the specific names give to the nouns such as persons, places, things, ideas, etc.
Example: Ramya, Manchester, Women’s Football Club, July, President of England
Abstract nouns are used to express the feelings, qualities, ideas, and things which do not have a physical existence.
Example: hunger, sad, happy, best ideas
Collective nouns refer to groups of people, animals, or things.
Example: Crowd of people, a herd of cows, a bunch of grapes, a flock of birds.
Compound nouns are the words form with two or more words.
Example: toothpaste, classroom, matchbox, washing machine
- The word class and room are two different words, but if you combine those two different words together you can get a new word classroom which is a compound noun.
Concrete nouns are the nouns that can be felt with our five senses.
Example: flower, book, table, hamburger, soup
Countable nouns are nouns that can be counted. Countable nouns have both singular and plural forms.
Example: a car, pens, an egg, cats
Uncountable nouns are nouns that cannot be counted and don’t have a plural form.
Example: rain, earth, flour